Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens
Brown paper packages tied up with strings
These are a few of my favorite things.
Throughout the years, I have curated a compilation of songs which managed to capture my heart, meticulously committing every lyric to memory. When I watched “The Sound of Music” at age seven, I was immediately smitten with the storyline, and especially this song. This song can warm you from the inside out – a hot bowl of chicken soup on a rainy day (or in the movie’s case, a torrential thunderstorm). My mom and I both memorized the lyrics and we would have singing marathons together – ah, those were the days! Recently I have caught myself humming the tune and was struck with a sudden idea. I thought I would share with you a few of my favorite things.
So, without further ado, here we are:
- Coming home to an immaculately clean house.
- Eating ripe, honey-sweet blackberries straight from the tree.
- The scent of old books.
- Drawing a bath and splashing around in the tub all the while pretending I am a mermaid.
- Being able to give someone a present they have always wanted.
- Beginner’s luck.
- Pizza, wings, fries, and superhero movie night.
- Laughing and joking with a group of close-knit friends.
- Impromptu trips to the zoo and aquarium.
- Haircuts that make me feel like a movie star about to make a grand entrance at the Academy Awards.
- Drawing something flawlessly on the first try.
- Being given flower bouquets and chocolates from loved ones for absolutely no reason.
- Ocean waves roaring and collapsing onto sandy shores.
- Musicals and theatrical performances.
- Jewel-colored butterflies fluttering among bright flowers.
- Somehow coming in at first place playing Mario Cart after having been stuck in twelfth the whole time.
- Grinding my own special spice mixes for chai.
- That moment after finishing all final exams for a semester.
- Beautiful stationery that I use mainly for decorative purposes.
- Zen garden ponds filled with lotus and koi.
- Finding something I thought I had lost.
- Fresh toast smeared with butter and strawberry jam, served up with a delicious veggie omelette.
- Melodies of koels as they gently sing me awake at dawn.
- Discovering that something on my wish list has gone on sale.
- Old Disney VHS tapes.
- Eating spoonfuls of Nutella straight out of the jar.
- Jazz softly playing in the background of a classy restaurant.
- Taking dry laundry out of the cryer and inhaling the fragrance of warm, clean clothes.
- Tastefully decorated homes and gardens.
- Food carts scattered through the streets of busy cities, serving tasty food just when I am hungriest.
- My heart skipping a beat (or several) at the pinnacle of a roller coaster.
- Perfectly applied nail polish.
- The sweet relief that comes with finishing a grueling year of school.
- Cotton candy and churros at a local carnival.
- Origami cranes made of ornate patterned paper.
- Sunshine-y days with a side of Ben & Jerry’s Ice Cream.
- Reading the last page of a wonderful novel and breathing a simultaneously sad/happy sigh.
- Acing an exam I had not studied for.
- Candlelight flickering on the table top, spreading vanilla aroma through the room.
- Spritzing a perfume that smells just right on my skin.
- Rereading old childhood classics and remembering why I fell in love with them in the first place.
- Having a good night’s rest after a day of working hard.
- Wearing high heels and feeling instantly empowered (like a fierce supermodel).
- Pastry shops.
- Cold, refreshing showers following intense, grueling workout sessions.
- Quiet moments to myself.
- Bundling up in scarves and mittens during the winter months.
- Watching the red squiggle disappear from underneath words as I add them to my laptop’s dictionary.
- Meeting someone who just clicks with me.
These are a few of my favorite things. What are yours? Let me know in the comments below!